Normally the month of May marks the transition between winter events and summer events, as the North warms up so does the event schedule. A lot is unknown of how events will be affected going forwards.
With all the uncertainty in the air, RS Sailing wishes to communicate on behalf of all our classes that we remain hopeful and optimistic that at some point this summer a certain degree of normalcy will return. In consideration of that, our classes in North America will forge ahead with National level activity as planned. Many regional regattas have been cancelled or postponed, with all National level events being further out any decisions will be delayed until there is more clarity.
Respective class associations and RS are going to continue to closely monitor each event to make an educated decision based on CDC and other Government guidance, with safety as the utmost priority. Adjustments will be made as required as soon as it becomes evident that it would be unsafe within the current format.
Should National Level Class events be deemed unsafe there will be a best attempt to reschedule, however, if there is the uncertainty of safety, the event will be cancelled. For instance, we’ve downgraded the RS Aero World Championships to the North American Championships as it became evident it would not be safe for international competitors to travel to Oregon, however at this time we believe a single-handed regatta with North American competitors should be safe.
National Level events are not the only game in town, we’d encourage sailors to check class website for local level events to participate in. This may be the year that regional events are the primary focus and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, where possible the class associations may schedule additional regional events.
It is certainly every individual sailor’s choice to attend an event. Should there be any concern of health risk, we’d encourage you to not go racing.
If there is one positive take-away from this pandemic, is that sailors everywhere are considering what is important to them. We all sail because we love it and with proper precautions, we encourage you to go sailing!
National level RS Sailing events still on the schedule for 2020 are as follows:
Please stay tuned to your respective class website for further event updates.
- June 26-28 RS21 North American Championships – Lakewood Yacht Club – Seabrook, Texas
- August 22-23 RS21 East Coast Championships / New York Yacht Club One Design Regatta – Newport, RI https://nyyc.org/one-design-regatta1 *RS21 entry info will be added soon
- August 29-30 RS21 National Championship / Newport Dinghy Regatta https://sailnewport.org/calendar/newport-dinghy-regatta/
- September 14-19 The Resolute Cup hosted by the New York Yacht Club – Newport, RI https://nyyc.org/2020-resolute-cup
- A winter series is planned for Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, Texas, details to come.
- July 30-31 RS Feva North American Championships / JSA Feva Champs – Cedar Point Yacht Club – Westport, CT*
- September 19-20 RS Tera North American Championships – Sausalito Yacht Club – Sausalito, CA www.RSTeraNA.org
- July 30-August 2 RS Aero North American Championships – Cascade Locks, Oregon – www.Cgra.org *
*Event online details pending.
- Charter boats are available at all these events, in order to confirm there will be a boat available please contact us, even if you only have a remote interest in chartering so that we can ensure to ship the boats.
For more information on RS Sailing North American events please contact email@example.com.
We hope to see you all on the water soon… and safe!!